If you are teaching at an Avalon School, the following package will add the necessary arrival essentials to the package that Avalon provides their incoming teachers. Best of all, it includes a FREE cell phone!
Avalon Institute is a well known and reputable English language institute in South Korea that employs several hundred English teachers. Avalon has branch positions and franchise positions. The following information applies to teachers working in the branch positions and does not include teachers working in the franchise schools. If you are unsure whether your Avalon school is a franchise or head office school, please check with your employer.
Avalon and The Arrival Store have had a long standing relationship and we help ensure that all incoming Avalon teachers receive all the items they need to have a smooth transition and get life started off right in South Korea. Teachers working in the Avalon Head Office schools (not franchises) are provided with an arrival package that includes:
Items Provided by School (Avalon Branch Schools)
- Kitchen Package (essential cooking items)
- Bedding Package (sheets, comforter, pillow)
- Bathroom Set (towel set, soap, toilet paper)
- 1 Table Setting (mug, bowl, plate, knife, fork, spoon)
- Cleaning Kit
- Bottle of water, and snack food
The Avalon Institute Package Includes:
- 1 FREE Used Simple Cell Phone
- 1 Large power transformer (1KVA)
- 1 Brita Water PItcher
- 1 Table Setting: mug, bowl, plate, knife, fork, spoon (who can get by with just one?)
- 2 Plug Adapters
- 1 TAS Welcome Package
This package is available to all Arrival Store customers, not just Avalon teachers.
All used phones are in great shape and backed by The Arrival Store. If a phone does not function properly or has technical issues (not caused by the user) while it is in the possession of a customer TAS will fix or replace the cell phone.
Used phones have typically only be used for one year. The used cell phone plan is the same as the new phone plan as described below.
The used phones come in a variety of different manufacturers, models, styles, and colors. Some of these include:
- Manufacturers: Samsung, Cyon, Sky, Anycall, LG, etc.
- Colors: white, black
- Style: slide or flip
Customers can request certain models by making a note during the checkout process in the "shipping notes field". TAS makes efforts to meet the requests of customers, but cannot guarantee that the phone will meet all of the customer's preference.
It is best if a customer can choose one attribute that is most important to them: ie. "White flip phone" or "Samsung phone"
All used phones come with a FREE charger and many come with additional accessories.
The Arrival Store new phones are brand new phones. In order to have the phone set up and ready to use when a customer arrives, we must open the box and register the phone with the service provider. During this process, the language on the phone will be switched from Korean to English for ease of use. TAS also installs the FREE protective screen film, and plastic case for the customer. Please note, that even though the box has been opened, the phone is new.
The Arrival Store customers can choose the paticular model of phone they would like by selecting it on www.TheArrivalStore.com
Immediate access to communication is central to a smooth transition. Unfortunately, getting a phone set up, is often a time-consuming and maddening experience as a foreigner in Korea. Many people assume that they will have access to the internet in their apartment upon their arrival, but it too can take a few weeks to arrange. The Arrival Store cell phones enable customers to skip these hassles completely by having a phone set up and waiting for them when arrive. The phones, like other TAS products can be waiting at a conveniently arranged location such as the airport, school, office etc. If you are already in South Korea, The Arrival Store phones can usually be set up and sent out within a day of when they are ordered.
Everything is far easier with a phone!
Why is it difficult to have a phone set up without The Arrival Store?
- Korea now supports a SIM card system but you must make sure your phone is compatible. Getting your phone from home to work is possible or requires an extensive registration process and can take 3 to 6 days to get set up with a local provider. However, we now offer SIM Cards for iPhones and other smart phones. Click here to learn more.
- An ARC (Alien Resident Card) is usually required to set up a phone and contract, which takes about 3-6 weeks to complete.
- Cost/Convenience: foreigners in Korea end up settling for clunky second hand pre-paid phones that are expensive, unreliable, and have a per minute calling rate 3x higher than a contracted phone. Getting a phone set up can take a lot of time and energy with trips to the store, translation and paperwork.
Benefits of The Arrival Store Phone Plans
- The Arrival Store cell phones are set up and ready for you to use upon arrival versus having to wait for your ARC (Alien Resident Card), bank account and other paperwork to be completed. The Arrival Store is the only way to have a phone ready for you as soon as you arrive, which is a massive benefit.
- The Arrival Store customers get a much nicer phone with very little upfront investment. TAS phones are provided at a fraction of the actual retail price of the phone. Often foreigners in Korea end up making a short term decision and settle for clunky and expensive second hand phones and annoying prepaid plans. Used phones often cost between 70,000 won and 200,000 won and carry the risk of being littered with technical issues. Prepaid phones also have an outgoing call rate around 3x as much as a contract cell phone. They often require users to go in to the telephone shop to "top up" their minutes.
- The Arrival Store cell phones are higher quality phones with many additional features like: caller ID, games, cameras, mp3 players, and many models have Korean/English dictionaries.
- The Arrival Store cell phone plans are aimed at making everything far more convenient for expats in South Korea. Our service has built in protection from large unexpected long distance bills, so that you can avoid unpredictable high bills. We will provide you with a long distance discount calling number that enables you to call internationally at a surprisingly low rate, often free (just using your local minutes). Because we understand that it often takes a few weeks to get your bank account set up there is a grace period for the first billing period.
- The Arrival Store offers contract cell phones, meaning that they are post-paid plans. The contracts are only a six month commitment which is by far the shortest and most lenient of all of the providers (usually 1-3 years). There is never a renewal fee for extending the contract. Customers are billed in English by email once a month. Bills are paid quickly and conveniently by ATM bank transfer. There is no need to top up minutes never run out of minutes
- The Arrival Store provides English support, which is difficult to find in South Korea. There is no need to work your way through a number of different operators to find someone who can solve your problem. We take care of this hassle for you.
- The Arrival Store phone service helps protect customers in the case of lost, damaged or stolen phones from having to pay the full retail price of a cell phone (200,000 won+) and getting a replacement right away.
TAS Cell Phone Plan Summary
-Text messages beyond the 100 included in the base fee are about 2 cents each (20 Won/text)
-Outgoing calls are about 10 cents per minute (18 won/10 second increment). The minutes are broken into 10 second increments (ie. if a call goes 3 seconds into the next minute, the customer is only charged for 10 seconds, not the entire minute). The per-minute usage is added to the base fee each month.
-As a benefit, TAS will also provide you with a discount calling and texting number that enables you to call internationally for near the domestic outgoing rate, depending on which country to which the call is made. Using the discount code where most international texts will cost: 150 won (roughly 15 cents each)
Paying TAS Phone Bill
TAS customers are sent a bill by email once a month that is paid conveniently through an ATM machine at a nearby bank (any bank is acceptable).
Internet Usage on TAS phones (Regular Phones)
Using the internet on the TAS phone can be quite expensive. If a customer plans to use the internet on the phone on a consistent basis they should contact firstname.lastname@example.org so that TAS can move the customer to a suitable plan.
Unless adjusted, TAS plan internet costs are as follows:
OZ internet: 0.25 won per .5KB
OZ Music On 1.04 per .5KB downloading and streaming music
OZ Multimedia 2.01 per .5KB downloading and playing games
.25 won = about .0025 cents USD
1 low resolution photo = 100 Kilobites = 50 won, about 5 cents USD.
Termination of Service within the first 7 days
If the cell phone is returned within 7 days of delivery and the phone is in like new condition or condition equivalent to which it was issued, the purchase price of the phone and cell phone deposit will be returned minus the following charges:
- Non-refundable set up fee: 30,000 KRW
- Restocking fee: 10,000 KRW
- Any usage charges on the incurred on the phone
Phone Cancellation after 7 days and before 6 months (9 months for smartphones)
If a customer chooses to cancel service after 7 days but before completing the six month cell phone contract, 50% of the deposit and additional usage/damage charges will be withheld.
Phone Cancellation after 6 months
After fullfilling the 6 month contract, the customer should give TAS 30 notice by emial (email@example.com) to cancel the cell phone contract.
100% Refundable Cell Phone Deposit Further Explained
TAS requires a 100% fully refundable deposit with the purchase of every new or used phone. This necessary evil was introduced after a few customers left the country without paying their outstanding bills.
TAS holds the deposit while the phone is in use and returns the deposit after the phone is returned and the contract is terminated.
Damage to a phone will result in the loss of some of some or all of the deposit. TAS understands that all phones are subject to normal wear and tear. TAS provides plastic cell phone covers and screen protectors free of charge for most phone models to help customers care for their phones. It is not required that customers use the plastic cover and screen protector but it is highly recommended.
The following are examples of excessive damage that will result in losing a portion or all fo the cell phone deposit:
- Missing buttons
- Cracked screen
- Cracked casing
- Obvious misuse
- Missing battery cover
- Excessively scratched screen
- Improper functioning
- Water damage
The deposit is returned after the service contract has been completed, the phone is returned to TAS, and phone damage has been assessed. If applicable, the deposit will be used to pay the final and any outstanding bills before the remainder is returned to the customer. The reimbursement is paid via PayPal or another payment method arranged.
Be assured that TAS is committed to assessing the damage as fairly as possible.
Large 1KVA Power Transformer
The 1KVA transformer converts 220 volt electricity (Korea) to 120 volt electricity (North America). It accommodates both 2 and 3 prong North American plugs (A & B). It is appropriate for higher power items such computers, televisions, and curling irons. It has enough juice to power several items through a power strip as well as long as the items do not exceed the voltage limits of the 1KVA transformer explained below. To determine if it is the right device for your electronics or if you need the extra large 3KVA transformer, please view the information below.
Electrical Power & Voltage in South Korea
South Korea functions on 220 volt electricity. The outlets are round, and equipped to accept a plug with two round prongs about 2 cm apart, like these:
Items with built in transformers, or that are designed for 220 volt electricity
Some electronics have power transformers built in to them (ie. most laptops, some battery chargers). Such items only need a plug adapter to function properly if the user is coming from a country with different plug shapes. An adapter simply allows the user to plug the device into a different socket type. Please see the adapter chart below to see which TAS adapter is right for you.
Items that do not have a built in transformer, and are designed for different voltage electricity:
Other items do not have built in transformers and actually need to a device that will convert the power from one voltage to another (ie. 220 Korea to 120 North America). Universal adapters from stores like the Mac Store or Radio Shack are expensive and usually do not have the capability to power items that use any significant amount of power (ie. hair dryers or game consoles). Plugging a device into the wrong voltage without a power transformer will damage the item and is a major fire hazard. TheArrivalStore.com provides the power transformers and adapters you need at a price that will not break the bank.
120 Volt Plug Adapter
The 120 volt plug adapter enables customers to plug 120 volt items (North America) into Korea outlets 220 volts. Warning: plug adapters do not convert power, and should only be used with items that have a built in power transformer (ie. laptop computers).
Drinking tap water in South Korea is not recommended.
Even though it is said to be potable in some areas, Koreans use sophisticated and expensive water filtration systems that cost $300- $1000s of dollars.
Water filter pitchers are somewhat difficult to find in Korea, but are an affordable and sufficient solution for those only planning to spend a year or two in the country. Of course bottled water can be purchased in every grocery store and convenience store, but taking a walk to the corner store early in the morning or late at night because there is no drinking water is a major hassle. Buying bottled water everyday becomes quite expensive and is tough on the environment. Spending a little bit of money up front will end up saving you quite a bit of cash and a whole lot annoying trips to the convenience store. TheArrivalStore.com makes ordering new filters a breeze.
The Brita water purifiers:
-Eliminate 98% of lead, benzene, mercury, and copper in the water
-Reduce chlorine, bad tastes and odors
-Prevent bacteria growth in filter
-Reduce sediment and water hardness
-Each filter has a 40 gallon capacity (181 liters). It is recommended to change the filters every 2 months.
-TheArrivalStore.com will continue to provide replacement filters for your water pitcher.
"Friends don't let friends drink from plastic bottles."
Sometimes it's just nice to use things that are familiar in a foreign place... like a fork.
Sometimes living in another culture can get to be a little bit tiring. The simple comforts of familiarity and home can really make a difference. If you don't love the idea of using chopsticks 100% of the time,this fork, spoon, and knife set might be exactly what you need in your apartment.
Give yourself a bit of time to get your chopstick skills up to par and in the meantime enjoy somethiing a bit more familiar at home.
Tracking down western utensils can be somewhat difficult in a place where they are not ordinary.
-3-piece stainless steel utensil set.
-Set includes a fork, knife and spoon.
Each utensil set is sold seperately.
Get your kitchen started off in style
It is always difficult to know what will be provided by an employer or be left in an apartment by the previous tenant if anything. We often hear stories from newly arrived expats about the odd and mismatched items they find in their ktichen cabinets.
The stories usually include something like: "I had one chopstick, one mug, and a serving bowl that all came from different sets."
TAS dish sets are simple and white. Best of all, they match and will be a good foundation for you to start your kitchen off with!
-1 plate (24.2cm diameter,2.8cm tall)
-1 bowl (16.2cm in diameter, 6.6cm tall)
-1 coffee mug (350ml, 8.6cm in diameter, 10.8cm tall)
-Porcelain dish set
TAS Welcome Package
The welcome package is a bundle of helpful information that will help you get settled into Korea.
It includes items such as, maps, general information about Korea, event calendars, subway map, coupons, area information, brochures about Korea, English Magazines and a Transportation Card.
Items included in TAS Welcome Packages change according each month and may include various items more/less than those listed above.